Are you working on publishing your first comic book? Or maybe just publishing another in a long series? Here are some quick tips to keep in mind when you are making your decisions.
- File format. Comic book printing companies typically require files in PDF format. Make sure your file is properly formatted and that all of your images are high resolution.
- Color mode. Comic books are typically printed in CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) color mode. If you are creating your comic in RGB (red, green, blue) color mode, you will need to convert it to CMYK before sending it to the printer.
- Bleed area. When printing comic books, it is important to leave a bleed area of at least 1/8 inch around all of your pages. This will ensure that your images and text are printed all the way to the edge of the page.
- Binding. There are two main types of binding for comic books: perfect binding and saddle stitching. Perfect binding is the most common type of binding for graphic novels and results in a book with a smooth, finished cover. Saddle stitching is less expensive than perfect binding and results in a book with a stapled spine.
- Paper quality. The paper quality you choose will affect the overall look and feel of your comic book. There are a variety of paper types available, including glossy, matte, and uncoated. The right paper selection can help cut down on spine cracking and page tearing as well.
- Cost. The cost of comic book printing varies depending on the number of pages, color mode, paper quality, and binding type. It is important to ask questions during the quote process because often times money can be saved by making small changes to sizing or paper quality and finish.
- Get proofs before printing. Most printing companies will offer to send you proofs of your comic book before it goes to print. This is a great way to catch any errors in your artwork or text. A hard copy proof is always preferable to a digital copy.
- Work with a reputable printing company. There are many printing companies that specialize in comic book printing. Do some research and choose a company that has a good reputation and experience printing comics. This will help you produce a high-quality piece that your fans will love.
Hopefully these tips help you on your new project! Good luck to all self-published authors and artists!