End-of-year appeal mailings are a critical source of revenue for many nonprofit organizations. In fact, according to Charity Engine, thirty percent of annual giving occurs in December with 10 percent happening in the last three days of the year! That’s why it’s so important to get your end-of-year appeal mailing right.
Here are some tips for putting together an effective end-of-year appeal mailing:
- Start early. Don’t wait until December to start planning your end-of-year appeal mailing. The earlier you start, the more time you’ll have to gather all of your materials, design your mailing, and get it printed. Your printing company will appreciate this, we promise!
- Personalize your mailing. The more personal your mailing is, the more likely it is to resonate with your donors. Use your donor database to personalize your mailings with names, addresses, and giving history. You can also include photos of your organization’s work or stories from your beneficiaries. This is one of the major differences between mailings that work well and ones that don’t.
- Tell a story. People are more likely to be moved to give when they can connect with a story. Tell the story of your organization’s work and the impact it’s having on the lives of others. Use vivid language and powerful images to bring your story to life.
- Make a clear ask. Don’t be afraid to ask for the donation. Tell your donors exactly how much you need and how their gift will be used. People appreciate knowing how their money will help others. Make it easy for them to give by including a donation form or link in your mailing.
- Create a sense of urgency. Let your donors know that their gift is needed now. The end of the year is a time when many people are thinking about giving, so you want to make sure your mailing stands out from the crowd. Use words like “now,” “today,” and “immediately” to create a sense of urgency.
- Thank your donors. Be sure to thank your donors for their support. Let them know how much their gift means to your organization and the people you serve. A handwritten note is a nice touch, but even a brief email will do.
By following these tips, you can create an end-of-year appeal mailing that will help you reach your fundraising goals.
Here are some additional tips that may be helpful:
- Use high-quality images and design elements to make your mailing visually appealing.
- Track the results of your mailing so you can see what’s working and what’s not. This will help you improve your mailings in the future.
I hope these tips help you put together a successful end-of-year appeal mailing for your nonprofit organization.