End-of-year appeal mailings are essential for nonprofit organizations because they raise a significant portion of annual donations. According to Charity Engine, 30% of annual giving occurs in December, with 10% happening in the last three days of the year.
There are several reasons why end-of-year appeals are so effective. First, people are more likely to be charitable during the holiday season. Second, they may be looking for tax-deductible donations to reduce their tax burden. Third, nonprofits often offer matching gifts during the holiday season, which can double or triple the impact of a donor’s gift.
Here are some things a nonprofit organization should know about mailing their end-of-year appeals:
- Personalize your appeal. Donors are more likely to give to an organization that they feel a personal connection to. Take the time to personalize your appeal by including the donor’s name and addressing their specific interests. You can also use donor segmentation to send more targeted appeals to different groups of donors.
- Segment your audience. Donor segmentation is the process of dividing your donors into groups based on shared characteristics, such as age, giving history, or interests. This allows you to send more targeted and relevant appeals to each group. For example, you might send a different appeal to major donors than you would to first-time donors.
- Use strong visuals. People are more likely to be engaged by appeals that include strong visuals, such as photos, videos, or infographics. Use visuals to tell the story of your impact and to show donors how their gifts are making a difference.
- Make it easy to donate. Include a clear call to action in your appeal and make it easy for donors to give. Include a donation form in your mailing or provide a link to your online donation page. You can also make it easier for donors to give by including a pre-addressed envelope or return postage.
- Thank your donors. Be sure to thank your donors for their support, both in your appeal and after they have given. This will help to build strong relationships with your donors and encourage them to continue giving in the future.
Here are some additional tips for mailing effective end-of-year appeals:
- Mail your appeals early. Donors are more likely to give if they have time to consider your request. Aim to mail your appeals at least two weeks before the end of the year.
- Use a variety of mailing channels. In addition to direct mail, you can also reach your donors through email, social media, and other channels. This will help to increase the chances that they will see your appeal.
- Test and track your results. Keep track of which types of appeals and mailing channels are most effective for your organization. This will help you to improve your future appeals and get the most out of your fundraising efforts.
By following these tips, nonprofit organizations can create effective end-of-year appeals that will help them to raise more money and support their mission.